Something sugary to sweeten your day. For this creation I blended a couple recipes together. The filling is caramel apple filling and I stuffed it inside a giant egg roll for easy eating. When it comes to desserts, I am usually inclined to make something mini or something handheld and if I’m lucky enough to find one that is both, I’m sold. I love the idea of changing a classic dessert, that usually requires a plate and fork, into an easy bite sized snack. THUS the apple pie egg roll surprise – its traditional apple pie with a twist!
-2 cups apples (I like Granny Smith – peel ‘em, core ‘em and sprinkle ‘em with lemon juice)
-1 tablespoon lemon juice
-1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/4 cup sugar
-2 tbsp all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/8 tsp nutmeg
-1/8 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-2 tbsp heavy cream
-2 tbsp butter
-12 to 15 large egg roll wrappers (this recipe made me 15 rolls)
-white sugar and cinnamon mix
-3/4 heavy whipping cream
-couple tablespoons of sugar (I didn’t want to make it too sweet because the rolls have lots of sugar and cinnamon)
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Peel and dice apples and sprinkle with lemon juice
3. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix. Add vanilla and cream.
4. (Here comes the caramel part) Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook for about 5 minutes just to soften up the apples a bit and thicken up the sauce.
5. Lay 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface and brush edge with egg wash.
6. Spread a couple tablespoons of filling across one side of the wrapper careful to keep it inside the edges
7. Fold the sides over and roll filling tightly in the wrapper to seal.
8. Place onto a buttered pan and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix
9. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
For the whipped cream – Place cream and vanilla in a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer (or if you have a lot people around like I did, pass the bowl and whip by hand). As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated. Keep on whippin’ until its as thick as you want it and serve with your piping hot egg rolls.
Sorry about the last picture, I made these for my friends birthday party and forgot to make them look pretty for a picture. You can make these little hand held gems for any occasion, they are super easy to assemble and then bring to bake wherever you are headed. And I bet they would be delicious with any fruit filling inside – I’m thinking peaches for summer!